Sunday, February 20, 2011

Omelette





I had an omelette for dinner, at approximately 10 pm. Such is life with a baby!!

Omelettes make me think of Austria. A natural association, no?

Well, probably not for most people.

In October of 2009 I had the amazing opportunity to take an 18 day mission trip to Austria. I could blog about it for years. One of the coolest things about the trip, though, was how much success I had at eating gluten free. I took some food with me, and bought some once I arrived. They have so much "glutenfrei" food available! I also did a lot of research online before I went, and I was able to find these little cards I could print out that explained my dietary needs "auf Deutsch" (in German). When eating out, I would hand these little cards to the server, and they would help me make my selections. It worked like a charm! I was able to try some interesting things, (google "kastanien reis"), but some meals were more simple. Like the omelette.

My group had found a little hole-in-the-wall eatery in Vienna one day, and we wanted to give it a shot for lunch. The server was one of the sweetest people I have met. She spoke broken English, and with the help of the little card, she tried so hard to think of things I could eat. She asked lots of questions about my needs ("So you can't even have things that have been cooked in the same pan with bread?"), and decided that an omelette would be a good solution. She was SO RIGHT!! It's so simple, I don't know why I never thought of it before. I order them now all the time now.

At the end of the meal we all made a special point to tell her how much we appreciated her effort to help me. I'll never forget the look on her face as she tried to explain in broken English how she just wanted "to help people."

I will never forget her kindness. I think of her every time I eat an omelette.

1 comment:

  1. here is the link to the website where I found the cards:

    http://www.celiactravel.com/restaurant-cards.html

    ReplyDelete