Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Faith



We have started going to Saturday night church. It's much more laid back, not as crowded, and it gives us Sunday mornings to sleep in a little. We're big fans. As we were sitting in church this past Saturday night, and I held my sleeping son, I was thinking about how when we got up that morning, we weren't sure if we were going to be able to make it to church that night. Having a baby makes it impossible to make plans with any certainty. You just have to keep moving forward, and keep trying, and hope you make it to your destination.

While reflecting on this, a few verses popped into my head:

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:34

Give us today our daily bread.
Matthew 6:11

Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.”
James 4:13-15

If you've read any of my previous posts, you know that my husband and I are planners. We like to have things figured out 50 paces ahead. But the truth of the matter is this: Today is the only day we can do anything about. Sure, it's good to look ahead and have goals. But I think God is really trying to teach us to walk one step at a time. Where is faith if you can see the future? God gives us what we need today, and that's all we need to worry about. He's never left us high and dry.

I am thankful to have a Father who loves me enough to grow my faith in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment