Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Maternal Guilt


My husband has been out of town for 6 days, and PRAISE THE LORD he's back. Liam and I did just fine without him, but it's doggone lonely. My husband is my best friend, and I just like being around him. Even if we're just sitting on opposite ends of the couch with our feet stretched out, and he sleeps as I blog.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Speaking of stretching out on the couch.....

As I was snuggling Liam for one of his naps today (yes, I still snuggle him for a nap occasionally. Well maybe more than occasionally), I was thinking about how much time the little guy and I have spent snuggled up together. He slept on me almost exclusively for 8 weeks or so, and even after that we still take one nap together almost every day. We're both such snugglers. And nappers. I was also thinking of how much of me he gets in a day. I don't hold him or play with him every second, but we spend a lot of time together. And this started to make me feel guilty. Maternal guilt. But for what?

Oh, this is funny.

For the children we don't have yet.

I started to feel guilty that I wouldn't be able to spend this kind of quality time with another child if God blesses us with another.

Seriously?

Maternal guilt is a funny thing. It knows no bounds. For some, it starts the moment you find out you're pregnant. You quickly think back over the previous weeks to see if you eaten/drank/done anything that could possibly harm the baby. And then for the rest of your pregnancy you second guess yourself at every step. Once the child is born, it only gets worse.

Am I spending enough time with him?
Am I spending too much time with him?
Am I overfeeding him?
Am I not feeding him enough?


And that's just the first day!

Moms get a lot of flack for laying guilt trips on their kids, but those are nothing compared to the ones we lay on ourselves!!

1 comment:

  1. ooooooooooooooooh yeah! :) :( and back to :) and then :(
    I get maternal guilt all too well. You wrote about it beautifully, my dear! A bit of reassurance: when you have more kids, *he* will like snuggling with his little brother or sister too. :) Lily and Eva actually share a bed. :P

    ReplyDelete